12.3.08

Something that would make the world a better place

If all doors with a "Push" sign were required to have a corresponding "Pull" sign on the other side. Sounds stupid, right? You're thinking "Matt, what kind of idiot pushes a door to get into a building and doesn't instinctively know to pull it to leave?" Well the answer is this kind of idiot. I have an excuse though, and this is something that always constantly bugs me, there is a door for the little ATM room at my bank that has a "Push" sign on the outside but no pull sign on the inside. Since the door is made mostly of glass the result, when looking out the door to leave, is something like this:
Now I don't know about you, but when I see that, I instinctively think "oh this is a push door" and try to push it open. And what really pisses me off is that the door is identical on both sides with a metal bar that can either be pushed or pulled. If they would simply put a "Pull" sign on the inside it might make it a little better, but since the backwards "Push" sign would still be there, I still might run into problems. What I propose is that they get rid of the "Push" sign altogether, that way I can let my natural instinct take over and not be fooled by their backwards "Push" shenanigans.

No comments: